2nd September 2016
Selfies! They are being taken everywhere! On the tube, at the gym and even on high buildings - people just can't get enough.
On average 1 million selfies are taken each day across the globe with just under 50% of these being shared with friends on Facebook. Statistics show that celebrity Kylie Jenner has shared around 451 selfies on her Instagram page with Snoop Dog very far behind in second having shared around 271 on his.
At Sekonda, we love to take selfies and capture that special moment of time – particularly when the picture showcases the latest watch in our range! With our passion for these fun snaps in mind, we have looked through the internet and found 5 interesting facts about selfies that you might not have known:
1. The word “selfie” was added to The Oxford English Dictionary in August 2012, and was voted as the “Word of the Year”.
2. The first known “selfie” was taken by Robert Cornelius in 1839.
3. The earliest use of the word “selfie” was tracked in 2002, when it first appeared in an Australian online forum.
4. The Ellen DeGeneres selfie taken at the Academy Awards in 2014 is still the most retweeted twitter image.
5. In 2014, the word selfie was officially accepted to use in the word game Scrabble.
Following the selfie trend, why not share your selfies with Sekonda using #SEKONDASELFIE - the best ones will be shared on our social media sites.